Thursday, October 22, 2009

Art now, sleep later

This is almost a week late, but I had a lovely volunteer morning last Saturday which consisted of poking holes and putting up posters. I volunteered for Nocturne which is an art thing quite similar to Nuit Blanche in Toronto. It takes place in downtown Halifax in galleries and in public space.
When I arrived there I was one of three volunteers (up and at 'em at 9:00 a.m. on a Saturday morning I guess that is why we were only three) we were quickly put to work poking holes in the big placards that had numbers on them for the various stations, bus stops etc. Let me tell you I am now an expert hole poker, watch out! Give me just about anything I could put a hole in it, as story, a boat, your favorite sweater. Anyhow, after the hole poking we did much putting up of Nocturne posters. My partner in crime was a very nice Korean girl who was in Halifax to learn English and had been here all of a month. It was cold and tiring, but fun. I learned some choice Korean swearwords.

I guess the best part was actually going to Nocturne that evening. Loads of fun.
Here are a few pictures of the night.



This was cool- this lady was creating a piece out of used guitar strings. Before we took the picture there was a dog looking up lovingly at the woman as she worked.


This piece was placed right next to a bunch of blacksmiths who were creating abstract human forms out of small pieces of metal. This piece and another one that looked sort of like an octopus had sticks all around them for people to bang on them, with the rhythm of the blacksmith hammering it created a real cool sound- much, much fun was had. Probably the best part of the evening.


On Barrington street (one of the main streets of Halifax) a ghostly hand wrote a message on the facade of a building "you are here". I really like this one as it was just simple, but funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment